Motor Vehicle Driver - Rearloader (Internal Only)
- Are you looking to build upon your driving and waste collection experience?
- Do you have a strong customer focus and enjoy providing guidance and support to other team members?
- Share your civic pride by keeping our city clean and tidy.
- Permanent full-time role – 38 hours per week.
- Flexible work arrangements available.
City of Newcastle (CN) is seeking a Motor Vehicle Driver to operate our rearloading waste collection vehicles. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for driving a rearloading waste collection heavy vehicle, bin manoeuvring, bin emptying (two and four wheeled), the loading/collection of bulky goods, as well as the operation of mechanical waste bin collection aids and mobile waste compaction equipment.
Additional duties include (but are not limited to) providing supervision, guidance and support to other team members working on/with the collection vehicle, ensuring the completion of all required waste collection activities in a safe, efficient and courteous manner, providing a quality service to all customers, and ensuring compliance with all RMS, statutory and CN standard operating and WHS procedures, policies and regulations.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
To be successful in this job you will have:
- Class HR driver’s licence.
- Moderate experience in utilising rear loading waste collection vehicles, including (but not necessarily limited to) the safe, competent and efficient operation of a rear loading waste collection vehicle, bin manoeuvring, bin emptying (two and four wheeled), loading / collection of bulky goods and operation of mechanical waste bin collection aids (e.g. bin lifters, lifting frames, etc) and mobile waste compaction equipment.
- Working knowledge of relevant WHS requirements.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Solid literacy and numeracy skills, including moderate computer skills.
- A solid level of written and oral communication skills.
- High customer service focus and commitment to continuous improvement, with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with customers and residents.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team within a multi-disciplined environment.
- Ability to follow collection route maps and work sheets, both written and electronic.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Familiarity with the City of Newcastle local government area.
- Previous experience with the operation and use of GPS in-vehicle routing / scheduling / reporting software systems.
- Experience with the operation of side loading waste collection vehicles, including (but not necessarily limited to) bin manoeuvring, bin retrieval and bin replacement (e.g. to facilitate safe access and / or customer service requirements, etc), cleaning up of spilt waste, etc.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here.
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 26 January 2020.
Remuneration: $59,123.51 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 38-hour week.
Contact: David Thomas, Waste and Commercial Collection Manager, 02 4974 6046.